White Butte RCMP reminds residents to lock vehicles, remove valuables when parked
Property crime social
Over the past month, White Butte RCMP has received a number of reports of thefts from parked vehicles. Items reported stolen include tools, personal identification, keys and garage door openers. In the majority of cases, the vehicles were unlocked.
White Butte RCMP is actively investigating these thefts and officers do regular, proactive patrols in the detachment area to deter illegal activity.
White Butte RCMP would like to remind residents they can deter thefts by:
– Always locking your vehicle.
– Parking your vehicle in a garage at home, if possible.
– Parking your vehicle in well-lit, secure areas.
– Removing items from vehicles. It’s not enough to put your vehicle keys, or anything valuable, in a cup holder or behind a visor, you must remove them from your vehicle and lock the doors. Even having spare change kept in your vehicle can make it a possible target.
– Always remembering to remove your garage door opener from your vehicle – if it is stolen, it can mean someone has access to everything inside your garage and even your home if it’s connected to your garage.
If you have information on these thefts, please report it to White Butte RCMP by calling 306-781-5050. Information can also be submitted anonymously by contacting Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or www.saskcrimestoppers.com.
Report crimes, even if they are small, to police as soon as possible. When all crimes are reported to the police, officers get a clearer picture of the types and numbers of crimes occurring in their area. This information helps them launch future police projects, initiatives and education campaigns.
A reminder that some complaints such as damage/mischief to property under $5,000, theft of bicycle under $5,000, theft under $5,000, theft from vehicle under $5,000, lost or found property and damage/mischief to vehicle under $5000 can be reported online to the RCMP here: http://report.rcmp.ca.
RCMP Media Relations