Fire & Emergency Services

Font size A A A

Fire Services

The R.M. of Sherwood’s fire services are provided by the Regina Fire Department (RFD).  As per Bylaw No. 11-01, Fire protection services are offered through an agreement between the R.M. of Sherwood and the City of Regina.   When the Fire Department responds to a fire, all costs associated with their response are charged to the land owner.

Fire Fighting Insurance

The R.M. of Sherwood would like to advise everyone to make sure that they have the appropriate Fire Fighting Insurance, we recommend that you have at least $10,000.00 firefighting coverage. The average firefighting costs can range from $1,200.00 to upwards of $10,000.00. Contact your local insurance broker for more information.

Controlled Burns

The R.M. of Sherwood would like to remind everyone that when you are undertaking a controlled burn on your property, you must submit a Controlled Burn Permit Application to the R.M. Please click here to submit a controlled burn application. Once approved the RM of Sherwood will fax the approved permit to the City of Regina Fire Services for notification of burn.

At the time of your burn, you must contact the City of Regina Fire Services at 306-777-7846 and the White Butte RCMP Detachment at 306-781-5050. This will ensure that the proper channels are notified and that no firefighting costs will occur for having the Fire Department dispatched to a false alarm.  The Regina Fire Department consults the received Controlled Burn Notices prior to responding to emergency response calls.  If you do not send in a Controlled Burn Notice, and the Regina Fire Department dispatches a unit to the location of your fire, you will be responsible for all costs associated with their response.

Fire Bans

If the R.M. of Sherwood has issued a fire ban, no controlled burn notices will be approved while the Fire Ban is in effect.

Emergency Services

Other emergencies within the R.M. are dealt with based on established Emergency Response Plans (ERP).

Fire Safety Tips

Below are some Fire Safety Tips to take all necessary precautions to reduce the risk of grass fires, especially during the hot and dry weather we are experiencing.

Controlled Burns

If you need to burn grass, bush piles or stubble on your property, plan ahead for a safe outcome:

    • Do not plan a controlled burn if there is a fire ban in your municipality.
    • Have fire guards in place around the area where you wish to burn.
    • Have access to hoses, fire extinguishers and a water source before you begin your controlled burn.
    • Pay attention to the weather. Windy, hot, dry conditions are when most grass and wildfires start. Don’t burn in these weather conditions.

Reduce Ignition Sources

You can unintentionally start a fire in dry conditions. Reduce the risk by following these tips:

    • Dispose of cigarettes and matches correctly. Don’t throw them out of a vehicle.
    • Avoid parking on dry grass. A vehicle’s exhaust can reach a temperature of more than 538 degrees Celsius (1000 degrees Fahrenheit). It only takes about 260 degrees Celsius (500 degrees Fahrenheit) to start a fire.
    • Don’t use machines or tools that may cause sparks during dry conditions. If you must use a tool such as a grinder, wet down your working area and have a fire extinguisher handy.
    • Teach your children not to play with fire or with matches. Fire can spread quickly.

Be FireSmart

Reduce the risk of fire around your home and community by practicing the FireSmart tips below and in the FireSmart Guides.

    • Keep your lawn cut and your gardens and paths well-maintained and leaves raked up.
    • Keep woodpiles away from your home.
    • Cut the grass around your outbuildings and around tanks or other containers that may contain flammable materials.
    • Do not burn trash or leaves unless they are in a damp or grass-free area.

Remember: It’s Your Fire

Any person who starts an open fire that spreads or is likely to spread is liable for all costs incurred in the suppression or control of the fire.

Click here to view the Ministry of Environment’s “Best Practices Guide for Open Burning”.