Zoning Bylaw Amendment Applications

To re-zone a parcel of land, a Zoning Bylaw Amendment Application must be made to the R.M. of Sherwood Planning & Development Department to amend the Zoning Bylaw.

The Zoning Bylaw (Bylaw No.18 /17) is the primary tool used by the RM to manage development of land, ensuring proper allocation of resources, and minimizing land-use conflicts between RM residents and businesses.  For any development to occur in the RM it must comply with the Zoning Bylaw—among other regulations.  However, if a development does not comply with the Zoning bylaw a landowner or applicant can apply to the municipality and amend the zoning Bylaw.

Rezoning Application:

To rezone land an individual must complete and submit a Rezoning Application along with:

  1. site plans, concept plans, etc.
  2. legal description of property(s)
  3. Proof of ownership or a letter of authorization from the registered property owner(s)
  4. applicable fees in accordance with the Planning Service Fee Schedule payable at the time of application.

Application review may not begin until all required information is provided and the application fee is received. The Average rezoning process takes 2-4 months depending on the complexity of the proposed Bylaw and the scheduled Council meeting dates.  Ministerial approval of the bylaw can take an additional 4-8 weeks after the Municipal processes are completed.  Zoning changes in the Joint Planning Area are subject to discussions with the City of Regina, potentially adding several weeks between initial application and public hearing process.

The RM of Sherwood encourages any person(s) who would like to re-zone land to contact the Planning & Development Department to learn discuss requirements of re-zoning proposals.

Re-zoning Process:

Rezoning land requires a legal process to create a bylaw amendment, as per the regulations within The Planning & Development Act, 2007.  When a rezoning application is submitted to the RM office the Planning & Development department will conduct a review to ensure that it complies with all RM planning policies—such as the Zoning Bylaw and the Official Community Plan.  If the application has merit and complies with relevant polices, the department will create a report for council recommending the bylaw for consideration.

Public Notice:

If council passes a motion to support a re-zoning application during the First Reading, the public notification process begins.  The applicant shall be required to cover costs of advertisements in the local newspaper for at least two (2) consecutive weeks prior to the next Council meeting. Members of the public will have the opportunity to discuss the proposed bylaw with RM planning staff prior to the public hearing date, and all written comments will be recorded for Council’s consideration during the public hearing.

Public Hearing:

Public hearings are held at the beginning of regular scheduled Council meetings, 5:30PM on the second Wednesday of each month.   During the hearing members of the public will be able to support or speak against the proposed bylaw and observe Council proceedings.  After the public hearing is closed, Council will conduct 2nd and 3rd readings, making the decision to support or reject the rezoning application.

If the Bylaw is passed, a copy of the bylaw and relevant information package is sent to the Community Planning Branch for Ministerial approval.  Once the Bylaw has received Ministerial Approval, it officially takes effect.  If a Bylaw application is denied, the applicant cannot appeal the decision.

For more specific information regarding Zoning Bylaw amendments, please click here to view the Ministry of Government Relations’ document regarding Amending Planning Bylaws.