Building Permits

Residential Permit Information

& Required Forms

Commercial/Industrial Permit Information

& Required Forms

Professional Building Inspections Specifications

Basement Development

Cancelled Permit

Commercial Renovation


Detached Garage or Accessory Building

Mobile Home

Pre-Move & Post-Move Inspections

Professional Building Inspections Notice of Rate Increase

Residential Renovation

Site Plan Example


As per Section 4 of the The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act, the R.M. of Sherwood as a local authority is authorized to issue and approve building permits and to inspect and approve building construction. Professional Building Inspections, Inc. (PBI) located in Emerald Park, SK is the R. M. of Sherwood’s official building inspector, providing inspection services during the building permit application process. After making application to the R. M. of Sherwood for a building permit, PBI will contact the applicant to schedule a building inspection.

Building inspections are conducted to assess building construction conformity to the R. M. of Sherwood Building Bylaw, The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act, Regulations, and Administrative Regulations as well as the National Building Code of Canada.

Please see below to determine if your project needs a building permit.

Building Permits Are Required:

  • To erect a new building or structure including but not limited to garages (attached & detached), carports, decks & patios, porches, entrance steps, retaining walls, swimming pools, and mobile homes.
  • To renovate, repair, add onto, alter, or reconstruct an existing building or structure.
  • To develop all or part of a residential basement, recreation room, or install a fireplace.
  • For any repairs which change or affect the structural nature of a building or structure.
  • For any work regulated by The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act and Regulations.

Building Permits Are Not Required:

  • Fences, private sidewalks & driveways, planters (Fences are required to comply with zoning height restrictions).
  • Painting, Cabinet work, decorating and laying carpet.
  • Replacement of materials (eg: roofing or siding) or cosmetic upgrades (eg: painting or flooring) not affecting structural or life safety
  • Accessory Buildings and Structures (garden sheds, etc) that do not exceed 10 square meters in area, provided that minimum setback requirements (from property lines) are maintained as cited in the R. M. of Sherwood Zoning Bylaw.

If your project does not fall into the two categories mentioned above, please contact the R.M. of Sherwood Planning & Development Department to inquire if your project requires a building permit.

To view the Guide on How to Apply for a Building Permit, please click here.

To begin the building permit application process, applicants must complete and submit the Building Permit Application along with three (3) sets of detailed construction drawings and specifications.

Please note, the building or development value is determined by PBI after the initial inspection has been completed. Once the building or development value is determined, the building permit fee is calculated based on the fee charged by the building code inspector plus a 15% administrative fee and becomes payable to the R.M. of Sherwood.  Building permits will not be granted until the building permit fee is paid in full.

After you have received your building permit and before you begin building, it is highly advisable that you contact all utility companies as well as other companies that may be affected by your project. To view a list of commonly requested contacts, please click here.

Building Move & Building Demolition Permit Applications

As per the R. M. of Sherwood Building Bylaw, notice of building demolition or building move is required to be sent to the Planning & Development Department prior to the decommissioning or removal of a building.

Along with the Building Move Permit Application or Building Demolition Permit Application, a fee of $80.00 must be supplied at the time of application and a deposit must be given to cover the cost of restoring the site after the building has been demolished or removed. The site must be restored to such condition that it is, in the opinion of the R. M. of Sherwood, not dangerous to public safety. If the applicant who demolishes or removes the building restores the site to a condition satisfactory to the R. M. of Sherwood and the R.M. is satisfied that there are no debts or taxes in arrears or taxes outstanding with respect to the building or land on which the building is situated, the sum deposited shall be refunded in full.

The following table demonstrates the deposit required to accompany a demolition permit:

Type of Structure Deposit Required
Agricultural Buildings $200
Residence/Accessory Buildings
(Above Grade Only)
Residence/Accessory Buildings
(Above and Below Grade)
All Other Buildings/ Structure $4,000

Please note that demolition permits expire six (6) months after the date granted; however, permits may be renewed for and additional six (6) months upon written application to the R.M. of Sherwood.



Building Bylaw

To find out more information about the Building Bylaw, please click here.